Hivos is an international development organization that seeks new solutions to persistent and emerging global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Our primary focus is achieving structural change and impacting lives. We do this through cooperating with innovative businesses, citizens, governments, and development organizations across four continents.
With long standing experience in development programmes and advocacy, Hivos’ East Africa Regional Hub is looking to fill the position of a Regional Project Manager for the [email protected] Campaign, situated within the Open domain. The [email protected] Campaign anchors Hivos’ substantive work on Corporate Accountability and Productive Labour. Founded in 2012, the [email protected]Campaign aims to contribute to decent work for women who earn their living through global production chains, most notably: flowers, fruits, vegetables and pulses, grown for the export market. The Campaign involves Southern partners spread over Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi, enlisting local and international multi-sectoral partnerships. The Campaign has adopted a number of core strategies, including: promoting an effective social certification regime to influence value-chain practices; contributing to law and policy reform; building the capacities of workers and workers’ representatives; and, promoting engendered corporate social responsibility. This is supplemented by a consumer advocacy component in The Hague, The Netherlands, aimed at promoting ethical consumerism and proactive engagement with Northern governments as well as businesses.
Implementation of the [email protected] Programme in the 5 programme countries listed above:
Provides technical direction, strategic advice and leadership on policy discussions and implementation in 5 Eastern Africa Countries, ensuring timely and effective partner contracting, stakeholder management, reporting on results and learning as well as fund management. Coordinates the implementation and coherence of the programme:
- Steering the development and implementation of the partner portfolio in 5 countries;
- Developing advocacy strategies on program priorities: Corporate Social Responsibility, Access to Justice, Living Wage project, Leadership and workplace policies as well as social certification.
External representation of the [email protected] Campaign and overall management of partner relations:
- Is the ambassador of the [email protected] Programme;
- Promotes Hivos’s agenda in professional forums by sharing and profiling practice-based results and experiences and sets the quality standard either personally or by delegating this to programme staff, and proposes and delivers sustainable solutions.
Responsible for programme management:
- Financial management of the [email protected] Hub EA Team – develop programme budgets; oversee funds distribution to projects and support partners and staff in reporting on finances;
- Oversee programme development, monitoring and evaluation – developing results matrices and tracking and recording results;
- Oversee programme reporting to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with regard to annual planning and budget, annual reporting.
Leading the [email protected] team at EA Hub
Leads, motivates, trains, guides and inspires staff and enables effective teamwork, achieves objectives and works according to Hivos’s guiding principles:
- Performance Management of [email protected] Hub EA staff – Lead the performance planning, evaluation and appraisal processes as well as personal capacity development;
- Day to day oversight of [email protected] Campaign activities at Hub EA – Lead the development of work-plans; quality assurance of the implementation of projects;
- Convene monthly [email protected] team programme meetings; collect quarterly time writing documents and develop quarterly activity reports;
- Monitor performance of team members.
Responsible for the [email protected] communication strategy:
- Povide input and strategic guidance in the development of a project communication and media strategy;
- Supervise the Roll out of [email protected] Communication and Media Strategy;
- Contribute to the development and roll-out of the Media and Communications work-plan;
- provide Input for media and communication strategy as requested;
- Authorize the development and dissemination or publication of Campaign publicity and media information and materials;
- Supervise the development of linkages with partners for media work and publicity.
[email protected] Campaign Programme Development:
- Participate in [email protected] Annual Planning Meeting and Annual Team Meeting;
- Explore fundraising strategies / input into proposal development for campaigns initiatives.
Hub EA WE / Open Society Programme Development and Linkages:
- Facilitate [email protected] team to link with Monthly Women Empowerment Team Meeting;
- Facilitate [email protected] input into Quarterly Open Domain Thematic Meetings;
- Coordinate the [email protected] input into the Annual Plan and the End Term Review.
Participate in relevant team meetings / events;
- Undertake Joint Programme Development including actualization of the financial resilience action plan: Prepare ToRs for the team; develop quarterly action plans/priorities; develop a fundraising budget; and define relationship with the Global Office on fundraising.
- Facilitate and convene [email protected] team meetings (both Global and East Africa).
- Participate in Annual Partners Meetings for [email protected] Campaign.
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences or a relevant discipline.
- At least 7 years of relevant working experience and good knowledge of labour rights and/or gender protection programming and advocacy.
- Ability to lead and inspire multi-regional teams and partners with members drawn from a diverse range of nationalities, cultures and disciplines.
- Working experience and good knowledge and understanding of the labour sector in the region; the legal frameworks, substantive social issues in horticulture, corporate accountability, certification processes, and related, trends.
- Experience in fund mamangement, fundraising, programme development and high level advocacy.
- Ability to work under pressure, often with tight deadlines without compromising the quality of deliverables.
- Strong English language skills; both written and spoken.
- Willingness to travel from time to time.
- High level of personal integrity and accountability.
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff.