1. PROGRAMME MANAGER- ENVIRONMENT & CLIMATE
The Royal Danish Embassy in Nairobi has more than 50 staff covering Denmark’s broad and close engagement with Kenya and Somalia. Our work in Kenya is currently guided by the Denmark-Kenya Partnership Policy 2015-2020, soon to be succeeded by a Strategic Framework for the period 2021-2025.
Implementation of the Denmark-Kenya Country Programme concludes in 2020 whereupon a new Bilateral Programme is anticipated to commence in 2021.
The Green Growth and Employment Programme is among the three thematic areas of the current Country Programme and is soon expected to transition into the Green Sustainable and Inclusive Growth Strategic Objective of the new Bilateral Programme.
In order to successfully deliver the ambitions of this thematic area, the Embassy is seeking to recruit a Programme Manager- Environment & Climate to join the Green Growth team as a focal point in championing the realization of Denmark’s climate strategy within the ongoing and new Kenya bilateral programmes, as well as through multilateral engagements.
The holder of this position will report to the Team Leader for Green Growth at the Embassy. The work may require occasional travel outside Nairobi.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Work across Embassy teams to ensure maximum use of synergies in the area of environment and climate between engagements under the bilateral programme, strategic sector cooperation, Trade Council and in the political dialogue.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities and preparing for political dialogue in the area of environment and climate, including pursuing opportunities for Denmark to build international alliances with Kenya.
- Anchor for establishment/maintaining overview and creating synergies with other external Danish instruments on environment and climate.
- Focal point for Building Back Better and Greener.
- Anchor on general processes and hearings regarding environment and climate.
- Initiate and manage studies, reviews, audits with the purpose of increasing focus of Embassy portfolio on environment and climate.
- Provide technical support to greening initiatives within the Kenya Bilateral Programme, the Strategic Sector Cooperation, Trade Council and other Danida instruments.
- In liaison with the M&E team, establish overall environmental and climate targets & ambitions for the Denmark-Kenya partnership and track performance against targets.
- Focal point for documentation and communication of results and overall visibility of Denmark’s work on environment and climate in Kenya.
- Establish strategic interplay between bilateral and multilateral engagements anchored in the Embassy, including provision of technical input to various multilateral engagement processes
- Responsible for managing the Environmental Governance engagement between the Embassy and World Bank as well as backstopping other engagements within Green Growth Programme. This includes handling administration, budget management, performance, monitoring & evaluation, liaison and dialogue aspects of this engagement.
- Ensure coordination with the relevant focal points of Government of Kenya, Civil Society and Private Sector, for furtherance of the Embassy’s climate, environment and green growth initiatives and agenda.
- Actively advise the Embassy of new opportunities being undertaken by various stakeholders by staying updated on emerging global and national issues on climate, environment and green growth trends.
- Promote knowledge management and sharing, document emerging knowledge, best practices and lessons learned relevant to the work of the Embassy in climate, environment and green growth
- Support the development and implementation of technical work and consultancies associated with the policy support components of the Programme, as required.
- Maintain and improve a broad network of contacts to the benefit of the Embassy, including Government levels, civil society, think tanks and research institutions, private sector, development partners etc).
- Participate in relevant Development Partner coordination meetings related to climate, environment and green growthEducation and Desired Experience
- Master’s degree in development studies, economics, environmental management, sustainable development or other discipline related to climate change, environment and green growth, with at least 7 years of working experience at a senior level. Bachelor’s degree with over 8 years’ work experience may be considered.
- Experience working with /for relevant Government of Kenya institutions including Ministry of Environment, NEMA, Ministry of Industrialization and private sector.
- Experience working for and/or interacting with development partners (‘donors’) and/or international organisations including multilaterals
- Good understanding of economic development factors in relation to climate and inclusive green growth
- Good knowledge of Results Based Performance Management and Monitoring & Evaluation
- Experience in managing consultancy contracts (including audits, evaluations and reviews)
- Skilled in MS Office programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), and other relevant programmes and applications as well as ability to use IT-based organizational systems.Skills, Knowledge and Attributes
- Strong understanding of climate change, environment, green growth and circular economy, with an ability to articulate environmental, economic and social dimensions related to these areas and the linkage to their private sector.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and programmes within deadlines.
- Ability to organize, participate in and facilitate multi-stakeholder processes at local and regional, and to some extent, international levels, including multi-lateral engagements.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to write high-quality reports, papers and communication products among others
- Effective public speaker andprocess facilitator
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a track record in working with and managing a diverse mix of professionals and different cultures.
- Professionalism and maturity in both internal and external engagements
- Good team player with strong persuasion capability, detail and results oriented.
- Ability to think outside the box, see the big picture and connect the dots
- Collaborative mind-set with a can-do attitude
- A track record of senior-level interaction and socio-economic awareness in the development sector.
- Eagerness to share knowledge with and learn from colleagues and ability to work both independently and within a team structure whilst delivering high quality results within tight deadlines, are requisite capabilities for this position
- Strong networks in the Government, civil society and private sector.
- Networks and/or experience in relevant multilateral organizations are highly desirable and provide an added advantage.
- Over 7 years’ progressively responsible experience in development programme management in sustainable and economic development in Kenya with good knowledge of results based management, administration, financial management, monitoring and evaluation experience.How to ApplyInterested individuals are invited to fill and send the application form in the Dynamic People Consulting Limited CV Format (download here) and a 1-page letter of motivation to email@example.com by COB 9th November 2020.The email subject should be “PROGRAMME MANAGER’’Please note that we will not consider late applications and applications that are not done in the requested format.The Royal Danish Embassy encourages all relevant applicants to apply for the position, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, personal background, etc.Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.The applicant must present a “No Criminal Record” and pass the security clearance prior to appointment.