Region: East Africa
Office: Nairobi, Kenya
Hours: Full time
Application deadline: March 19, 2023
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values.
Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources.
We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice.
Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
The Operations Assistant will seat in as the front office face of the organization. The person we’re looking for will assist management and others in the administrative and the HR contexts, and with the administrative organization of the work of hub East Africa, according to the requirements and procedures of the organization.
• Perform general administrative duties e.g., copying, email correspondence, taking minutes
• File and retrieve operations documents, records and reports
• Ensure records and archives management guidance material such as guidelines, instructions and procedures are maintained
• Maintain logistical and administrative activities and corresponding systems for internal and external communication, fulfil information requirements
• Assist in bookkeeping services such as preparing and entering invoices, expense reports.
• Create and modify documents e.g. invoices, reports, memos, letters etc. using word processing, spreadsheet, database and/or other presentation using Microsoft Office
• Assist in the set up and coordination of meetings and conferences at the request of the Regional Director
• Organize and keep track of meetings, maintains and applies Hub agenda and planning, organize periodic and one-off events, monitor reporting schedules and requirements
• Maintain office calendar to coordinate work flow and meetings
• Assist in organizing workshops, seminars and other related operational activities
• Maintain and manage the regional front office
• Be the direct interface with internal and external stakeholders who wish to interact with the Hub and ensures proper follow-up
• Help to improve work processes and engage in quality improvement projects and activities
• Serve as secretary on the Occupational Health Committee; ensure meetings are held and set clear schedules for relevant audits on yearly basis
• Ensure regulatory and legal compliance at all times
• Perform a variety of logistical tasks such as organizing travel & accommodation for staff
• Act as organizational liaison on transport matters; interact with vendors and handles all relevant queries from staff on this
• Assist the Operations Manager and the HR manager in processing permits and immigration related matters for foreign staff
• Support the implementation of Hivos’s HR and operations policies.
• Facilitate recruitment by assisting in the interview planning, calling of the candidates, ensuring onboarding formalities are observed and maintaining recruitment records.
• Coordinate the organization induction programme for all new employees.
• Maintain staff database and ensure HR operational processes run smoothly including benefits enrolment and termination.
• Liaise with the HR manager on implementation of HR initiatives
• Support in preparation of HR & Operation reports
• Plus, any other duties as maybe assigned
• Relevant Bachelor’s degree or comparable work experience
• At least 3 years work experience relevant for the function
• Proven proficiency in computer and internet use
• Good writing, analytical and problem‐solving skills
• Proficient in computers (MS Office) & Internet use
• Organizational, administration, and office management skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Knowledge of the basic principles and practices of bookkeeping
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to learn and use information management software. Use of HRIS system like Sage VIP is desirable.
We particularly welcome applications from women and/or persons that belong to one of the rightsholder groups that Hivos works for.
We offer a contract based on Hivos East Africa local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise requested.
Want to apply?
Does this sound like your profile? You are welcome to submit your application by the 19th March 2023.