Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi (AKUH, N) is a private not-for-profit teaching hospital that provides tertiary and secondary level healthcare services. It is one of the hospitals in East Africa accredited by the Joint Commission International from USA. The University Hospital has been providing high quality care for the people of East Africa and beyond for over 60 years.
The Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi Outreach Division is a rapidly growing network of 50 medical centers spread over East Africa. These medical centers feature three to five consulting rooms with a practice that is home to specialists, qualified medical officers, highly experienced nurses and constant reception cover. The clinics offer an on-site pharmacy and laboratory as well as imaging services. There is high expectation for staff to provide high quality professional services.
The incumbent will provide leadership to the Outreach Nursing and Home Health Program Team and oversee their practice to ensure delivery of quality care that promotes safety and well-being of all patients within the Outreach Division. S/He will plan, coordinate, manage and evaluate all clinical, operational and administrative nursing care activities.
- Provide leadership and governance of Nursing and Home Health Services in the Outreach Division in compliance with institutional policies and evidence-based practice
- Communicate the divisional strategic plan to direct reports/divisional staff
- Participate in the budget process and ensure unit-based control of operational costs based on institutional targets
- Demonstrate effective counseling and coaching strategies in a diverse workforce setting
- Participate in and oversee high quality and timely patient care in Outreach Division
- Lead nursing and home health team in development, review of policies and implementation of procedures, protocols, and care guidelines based on best practice
- Monitor the Team’s compliance to the quality standards and institutional policies and procedures
- Plan for and promote continuous nursing education activities and provide training and monitoring over nursing practice
- Lead the nursing team in evaluation of care and outcomes through Root Cause Analysis of incidences, Mortality and Morbidity discussions, and clinical indicators
- Defines clinics specific nursing stock and ensure maintenance of adequate supply of nursing stock and other resources
- Ensure availability of necessary supplies for provision of safe and quality care of Home Health clients
- Incumbent will be responsible for the recruitment, selection, onboarding, orientation and on- going training of the Nursing and home health team
- Ensure staff acquire and maintain the relevant skills, knowledge and competencies appropriate for the division
- Design proactive and innovative ways to enhance customer satisfaction
- Represent the division in various hospital committees as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer, Outreach Division and Chief Nursing Officer
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (B.Sc. in Nursing)
- Registered Nurse with current licensure with the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Masters in a Business or Clinical field will be an added advantage
- Experience in Safe Care/ JCIA Certification/Accreditation is an added advantage
- Minimum of 10 years clinical nursing experience in acute care hospital with at least 3 years’ experience in management
- Certification in BLS
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and skills in area of responsibility
- Demonstrates leadership and management skills.
- Effective communicator at both operational and interpersonal settings