Faculty/Directorate: School of Postgraduate Studies (View All Jobs) Thika Deadline Fri,15 Sep 2023
Mount Kenya University (MKU) is a chartered and ISO 9001:2015 certified University committed to a broad-based, holistic and inclusive system of education.
The University is a member of the Inter-University Council of East Africa as well as the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
MKU is largely known for its dynamic, comprehensive and thorough academic and vocational training system as well as linkages with internationally reputable institutions.
The University operates from the main campus in Thika with campuses in Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Eldoret and Meru, as well as Open Distance and Electronic Learning (ODEL) centres located in major towns in Kenya, Burundi, Somaliland and Uganda.
In pursuit of fulfilling the Mission and Vision of the University, the Directorate of Human Resource is mandated to facilitate and support the Mission operations of the University by enabling it to continue attracting, developing and retaining the right number of suitably qualified staff so as to maintain the University competitive edge.
MKU invites applications from suitably qualified, visionary, competent, dynamic and experienced professionals with impeccable track record to fill the position of Postgraduate Administrators
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
- Must have at least three (3) years’ experience in Grade 8 or at a comparable position.
- Must be Computer Literate and highly proficient in ms-word, excel, SPSS and other computer statistical analysis software.
- Must have good analytical, report writing and report presentation skills with adequate proficiency in data visualization techniques.
Key responsibilities also include
- Provide customer service and necessary support to postgraduate students, supervisors and other stakeholders
- Serve as link to communication between the students, school and the College of Graduate Studies & Research
- Maintain and regularly update files for postgraduate students
- Oversee postgraduate student requests for supervisor allocation, seminars, ethical review, publications, letters of introduction and relevant documents to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with requisite regulations
- Schedule postgraduate training meetings and seminar presentations
- Provide individual student weekly and monthly progress reports to the board of graduate studies
- Prepare a list of students who successfully complete each semester
- Present weekly student reports during the postgraduate students academic progression monitoring committee meetings
- Serve as secretariat during students’ seminar presentations and board of examiners meetings
- Prepare payment claims for postgraduate supervisors and examiners
- Develop and maintain a schedule of activities for the respective schools each semester
- Maintain a record of all hard-cover bound thesis/project copies
- Ensure submitted thesis are submitted to the library
- Coordinate postgraduate capacity building for students and supervisors
- Any other duties assigned
- Proven record in academic, student service or administrative roles
- Understanding of technology applications related to records and data management processes
- Experience with Excel and other Microsoft Office applications essential
- Attention to detail
- Excellent oral, interpersonal, and written skills.
- Problem-solving capability.
- Capacity for prioritizing conflicting demands.
- Ability to gather facts and to analyze situations objectively, accurately, and in an organized fashion.
- Solid critical thinking skills to understand student and staff issues.
- Attentive to deadlines.
- Positive attitude and ability to plan and adapt to change.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with various departments and cross-functional teams.