Reports To: Senior Manager, ICT Infrastructure
Responsible for the Bank’s database management and coordination of changes to computer databases, testing and implementing databases using database management systems.
- Confirm Backup was done and done to completion first thing in the morning
- Check on space availability in the database, if none free up some space for day to day activities.
- Ensure database availability as well as ensure its performance is at its very best by performance tuning if it is not performing as is required.
- Establish and calculate optimum values for database parameters, using manuals and calculator.
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Review workflow charts developed by programmer analyst to understand tasks computer will perform, such as updating records.
- Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Develop reports as required by the business that includes CBK reports and ad hoc reports as required by the business.
- Review procedures in database management system manuals for making changes to database.
- Monitor database performance throughout the day, in case of any abnormality attend to it as soon as possible
- Test programs or databases, correct errors and make necessary modifications.
- Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to computer systems, such as the installation of new databases.
- Train users and answer questions.
- Develop standards and guidelines to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
- Put in place security measures to protect Bank’s Data by applying approved DB security standards.
- Report Database risk events and service exceptions.
- Research on emerging Database technologies and innovations to improve the Bank’s DB offerings in line with change management process.
- Participate in BCP strategies formulations and continuous reviews.
Qualifications And Experience
- University degree in sciences, mathematics, computer science or telecommunication/electronics engineering
- 6 years’ experience in database management, preferably in a Bank
- Expert DBA skills for 11g including extensive experience in implementing DB architecture using Oracle RAC, SQL. Oracle database Certifications
- Oracle Database management Certifications.
- Microsoft Certifications.
- Knowledge of operating systems (UNIX, SUN, AIX, Linux, Windows)
Job Specific Competencies
- Excellent database management & system analysis skills.
- Analytical ability and out of box (innovative) thinking.
- Excellent communication skills. (Should be able to communicate with non IT users as well).
- Flexibility in handling tasks (multi -tasking).
- Well organized and should be aware of project management methodology.
- Software Development Life Cycle experience
- Available for occasional work outside normal business hours
- Critical thinking – is able to probe facts and challenge assumptions
- Results oriented and committed to meeting turn-around times/deadlines
- A keen eye for detail
- High energy
- High levels of professionalism and professional development.