Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience2 years max
- Job FieldNGO/Non-Profit Project Management
This position is part of the Pastoralist Youth Education Initiative (PYEI) is a multi-donor project that forms the second phase of Adeso’s approach to enhance economic and social opportunities of marginalized pastoral children in Marsabit, Kenya through improved access to quality education. Taking a holistic approach, the PYEI is looking to build on the successes and lessons learned from a 2 year pilot Mobile Non-formal Education (MNFE) in providing access to primary and post primary education for pastoralist youth focusing on female participation. Adeso is seeking qualified and committed individuals to join the PYEI team as Community mobilizers (CM). The incumbents will be the project ambassadors in the community and work closely with the project team and the teacher to monitor activities on the ground. CM will be incharge of a Mobile School to support in the field, including follow up with the associated Community Education Committees (CECs).
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct community sensitization meetings in targeted communities.
- Encourage full participation by all community members, paying special attention to women.
- Assist in recruitment of teachers.
- Facilitate selection and training of CEC members.
- Assist CEC and community members and teachers to develop selection criteria and identify pupils to participate in the project.
- Gather and collate monitoring data and report on findings from field monitoring activities.
- Work with the M&E Officer to learn how to conduct analysis of the monitoring data.
- Assist the M&E Officer with the organization of semi-annual stakeholder meetings.
- Assist the Senior Project Officer and the Cashier/Clerk with other aspects of project implementation as required.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Resident of Marsabit County
- At least 1 year of relevant experience
- Ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with community members and colleagues
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English
- Computer skills
- Relevant technical/vocational qualification
- Experience working on education projects and/or with pastoralist communities
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job FieldEducation / Teaching NGO/Non-Profit
This position is part of the Pastoralist Youth Education Initiative (PYEI) is a multi-donor project that forms the second phase of Adeso’s approach to enhance economic and social opportunities of marginalized pastoral children in Marsabit, Kenya through improved access to quality education. Taking a holistic approach, the PYEI is looking to build on the successes and lessons learned from a 2 year pilot Mobile Non-formal Education (MNFE) in providing access to primary and post primary education for pastoralist youth focusing on female participation. Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the teacher will be responsible to implement and evaluate the Non formal education curriculum and impart knowledge, skills, develop personality and character that will provide a lasting and inspiring impact on the lives of pupils to develop a positive attitude.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Curriculum implementation and evaluation
- To prepare all professional records for curriculum implementation
- Develop teaching/learning resources for effective and motivating lessons
- Keep all records and use them to improve performance
- Conduct continuous assessment tests and terminal exams, mark and record results
- Train children in co-curricular activities so as to compete with others
- Participate in timetable review with the CECs
- Keep records of all monitoring tools including the exit forms, class register, NFEC pupils performance
- Facilitate community participation in promoting non formal education
- Train parents on basic concepts of upbringing their children
- Participate in CEC meetings in the NFECs
- Participate in community mobilization and sensitization about the project
- Involve the community through the CECs to support education
- Encourage the community to give girls equal chance in education through mobilization
- Encourage the CECs and Pupils to make the centre environmentally friendly
- Managing Non formal Education Centre (NFEC) Resources
- Responsible for proper management of centre resources issued for promoting teaching/learning environment i.e textbooks, teaching aids and etc
- Accountable for keeping proper and accurate list of books issued to NFEC pupils
- Ensure proper utilization of any used material during classroom instruction
- Ensure proper storage and safety of equipment/materials after use by children, this includes the floor mat, tent, textbooks, register and football materials
- Promote partnership with local educational institutions
- Regularly monitor the attendance, scholastic performance and learning needs of the children in the NFEC in close liaison with Adeso MNFE project staff
- Initiate close relationship with teachers from the local primary schools to share approaches for effective teaching in the NFEC
- Development of human potential in students
- Prepare high achieving pupils for post primary education
- Develop the pupils potential abilities to their maximum through a variety of experiences
- Develop in pupils, an awareness and appreciation of education in the field of education and an ability to utilize them
- Develop in pupils, an awareness of the principles which underline good human relationship and use of these in their dealings with the community
- Prepare the pupils to face life with self-confidence and independence
- Promote clear logical thought and critical judgment
- Offer carrier guidance to pupils
- Conduct counselling for pupils in need of counselling. Liaise with parents of individual learners for effective delivery of counselling services
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BED primary option/P1 teachers’ certificate
- At least one year experience in a similar position
- Ability to teach Kenya primary curriculum
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision
- Good communication skills and organisational skills
- Ability to establish strong working relationship with the community
- Willing to travel and work regularly within remote areas
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to coach and mentor
- Self-confidence, maturity & ability to co-operate with a wide variety of people
- Must be a resident of Marsabit County
- Experience working with Pastoralist communities
- Commitment to vision, Mission and values, aims and policies (especially gender relations)
- Uphold Adeso Values at all times.
- Robust energy and interpersonal skills at high level
- Working at community level and with NGOs
- Ability to work on own initiative & under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Personal commitment to working as reliable, honest, & trustworthy member of a team
Applicants should please submit your application to email@example.com, quoting the position in the email subject matter
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.