The Royal Danish Embassy in Nairobi represents Denmark in Kenya, Somalia, Seychelles and Eritrea as well as towards the UN in Nairobi. It manages development and stabilisation cooperation linked to Kenya and Somalia and follows political developments. The Embassy also promotes green growth and trade between Denmark and Kenya and supports regional cooperation in East Africa and has a consular and visa section.
The Embassy is seeking a creative, ambitious and visionary Communications Officer to ensure strategic, timely and effective communication and Public Diplomacy (PD).
The Communications Officer will be responsible for strengthening and managing the Embassy’s communications and public diplomacy profile towards audiences in Denmark and the countries the Embassy covers, in close collaboration with colleagues across all focus areas and teams. This also includes ensuring relevant cooperation with the communications team in the Danish MFA as well as to relevant external contacts and partners in Denmark, Kenya, Somalia, Eritrea and the Seychelles.
The Communications Officer will be based in the Governance & Health (G&H) team and report to the G&H team leader, but will collaborate closely with all teams and cover all areas of the Embassy’s work.
Main duties and responsibilities
Maintain and strengthen the Embassy’s public profile
- Develop and promote communications, PD and branding materials through appropriate social media and other channels.
- Strengthen the Embassy’s profile towards relevant Danish, Kenyan and Somali audiences through media engagement, monitor press coverage and identify news, development and political agendas relevant to the Embassy.
- Manage and strengthen the Embassy’s Social Media (SoMe) profiles in close cooperation with colleagues across teams.
- Ensure knowledge sharing and equip colleagues to contribute to the Embassy’s communication efforts. Provide ideas for communications initiatives and professional communications advice to staff.Develop and ensure implementation of communications and PD strategies
- Take lead in finalizing the Embassy’s PD and communications strategy, ensuring that this and other communications strategies are continuously updated and adjusted as needed, and implemented across teams and focus areas.
- Develop, write and edit communications materials, press releases and ensure publishing in relevant media outlets/ platforms.
- Provide copywriting and editing support across all internal and external communications to maintain consistent tone, style and messaging.Manage relations to audiences, media outlets, partners and stakeholders
- Forge strategic partnerships with individuals and organizations who can help produce and promote Embassy content, activities and messaging. Collaborate with teams, partners and external stakeholders, such as governments, embassies, NGOs etc.
- Draft media releases, statements and media briefing notes, working in conjunction with relevant focal points.
- In consultation with the Team Leader and Management, service local, Danish and international media. Facilitating press assistance, production communication content for the entire organisation.
- Organise press coverage as needed in connection with embassy field trips, major meetings, visits and events.
Education and Desired Experience
- BSc/BA in international relations; development, political science; public relations, communications; public information, journalism; or other relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in journalism and/or communications, preferably including at international level.
- Experience in copywriting and editing. Experience in setting up systems and monitoring the impact of on- and offline communications.
- Working knowledge of MS Office photo and video-editing software and other relevant digital apps is an asset.
- A track record of entrepreneurship and being able to identify opportunities, design and carry out projects and strategies.
- Relevant network among journalists, editors and key actors in countries covered by the Embassy.
- Knowledge of Danida or development work in general.
- Experience working on advocacy campaigns.
Skills, Knowledge and Attributes
- Knowledge of current communication approaches and trends in key sectors relevant to the Embassy.
- Excellent English oral and written communication and presentation skills, strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences.
- Solid ability to proofread and edit clearly and accurately.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to respond quickly and accurately to deadlines.
- Ability to independently identify and act on opportunities, develop and implement strategies.
- Experience using digital asset management systems and digital analytics and performance reporting, especially measuring and evaluating communication work, analyzing media coverage, SoMe engagement, web traffic, etc.
How to Apply
Interested individuals are invited to fill and send the application form in the Dynamic People Consulting Limited CV Format (download here) and a 1-page letter of motivation to email@example.com by COB 9th November 2020.
The email subject should be “COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER’’
Please note that we will not consider late applications and applications that are not done in the requested format.
The Royal Danish Embassy encourages all relevant applicants to apply for the position, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, personal background, etc.
Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The applicant must present a “No Criminal Record” and pass the security clearance prior to appointment.