The Graduate School of Media and Communications (GSMC) seeks to hire a faculty member who will help to nurture the next generation of journalists, media leaders and communications professionals for the East Africa Region.
The main purpose of this role is support and teach and share knowledge with students in the various academic programmes offered by GSMC: Executive Masters in Media Leadership and Innovation (EMMLI), Masters of Arts in Digital Journalism (MADJ) and a upcoming program in Strategic Communications.
As well as being a media scholar, the faculty will have a comprehensive knowledge of trends in the media and communication industry as well all-round competence in the practical application of different forms of digital media.
- Teach across the GSMC academic programs including Executive Masters in Media Leadership and Innovation (EMMLI), Masters in Digital Journalism (MADJ) and Strategic Communications and train in the professional development courses;
- Collaborate with AKU colleagues to create online content to support the teaching of academic and professional development courses;
- Conduct and evaluate students’ performance through examinations and other assessment parameters as per university guide;
- Counsel and coach students on course-related matters, career path planning, advising on thesis establishment and development as well as guiding on projects;
- Contribute to the development of new curriculum and/or the review of existing curricular;
- Provide leadership and subject matter expertise in journalism, digital media, media leadership and communications; and
- Actively work towards research funding, by writing proposals, engaging in grant applications and hosting research conventions.
- PHD in a relevant discipline – Journalism or Media and Communication from a recognised university;
- She/he should have 3-5 years of teaching experience at university level. Experience in working with graduate students is essential;
- She/he should have experience in blended teaching, both online and in person;
- She/he will have strong research and/or practice portfolio;
- She/he should demonstrate achievement in academic delivery, development of course content and outlines and programme coordination;
- She/he should be able to work independently;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment; and
- Evidence of leadership will be an added advantage.
Please send your application letter, curriculum vitae (CV), copies of academic qualifications and copies of professional certificates to [email protected].
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be submitted latest by June 30, 2023